Has your home been recently flooded by melting snow or heavy rain? It can be a scary experience to be a victim of disastrous weather. However, taking action to prevent such a harsh outcome can help protect you from the next storm. In addition, learning methods to prevent mold in your home can save you money on costly repairs.
Mold is not a welcoming sight in your home. You also never know if a family member or guest could be allergic to the particles. It is crucial that you keep this potentially harmful material out so you can maintain a safe environment for all. Here are some tips on how you can prevent mold before the next flood comes:
• Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible.
• Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
• If wet or damp areas are dried 24-48 hours after a flood, in most cases, mold will not grow.
• Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
• Keep indoor humidity low.
• Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
• Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms.
At The Russell Agency, LLC, we hope these tips help you work to restore your home to what it used to be. You have worked hard to provide a safe living space for your loved ones, so doing everything to protect it is a must. Did you know that your homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover damages caused by flooding? In Connecticut, the damages caused by flooding can be extensive and the repairs to your home can end up costing you a lot of money if you are not properly protected. This is why we are here to provide comprehensive and affordable flood insurance that will meet your personalized needs.