Imagine if you looked in the fridge and realized you were out of milk. You pack up your things to head to the grocery store, but then it starts to rain. Does this make a knot in your stomach? Some people get nervous about driving in the rain or in other forms of bad weather. If you really must go out on an errand though, it is important to drive safely and cautiously on wet roads.
Owning and operating a vehicle is a responsibility that takes a lot of time, effort, and money. What plays a role in these factors is the weather. If one day it is heavily raining, this could cause your car to spin out of control if you are not careful. In order to avoid damages and accidents, here are some tips to follow when the weather is wet:
- When it is raining, whether light or heavy, always slow down. This is because it takes longer to stop in wet weather.
- Maintain proper following distance behind other cars.
- Be more alert when driving in wet conditions.
- Watch out for brake lights in front of you.
- Turn your headlights on in overcast conditions so you can see the road better.
- Before the rain comes pouring down, replace old wipers to stay safe.
- If possible, stay off the road during heavy thunderstorms.
- Allow for more travel time since you will be driving slower. Rushing around puts you at a higher risk of a collision.
- When it is raining, do not use cruise control, or you may hydroplane.
- Defog your windows so you can see.
At the Russell Agency, LLC, we hope these tips help you navigate the wet roads a little better. Safety should always come first, especially if you have your family along for the ride. Nothing is more important than their well being. So if there is a heavy rain storm outside, you should be cautious and make a decision of whether to travel or not. In addition, you should have the extra protection of auto insurance. Our agents understand that your lifestyle differs from everyone else, and they want to provide a solution that is customized to match your needs.