The snow is finally melting! Although many residents are overjoyed by this sight, it is also important to watch this phenomenon carefully. The last thing you want to happen is a flood due to the snow finally disappearing. Making sure your property is prepared in case of overflowing water is important to your family’s safety.
With various rain showers, heavy downpours, and last minute snow storms, you can only hope for the best when it comes to the weather. Yet, warm temperatures in the 50s have been felt recently, causing the snow to melt and for some rivers to rise, according to the National Weather Service. Because of this, a flood watch for Northwestern Connecticut was announced two weeks ago. This doesn’t mean it can’t happen again. Water intrusion from melting snow and ice can threaten your home. Here are some tips to follow to help minimize the potential damages:
- Secure the exterior of your home by boarding up windows, making roof repairs, and sealing cracks.
- If you have a basement, clear out any window wells of snow or water to prevent it from seeping through.
- Shovel snow away from doors and windows to prevent water intrusion.
- Ensure that all drains and gutters are cleared of ice, dirt, and debris.
- Excess snow on roofs should be removed using a roof rake or by hiring a roofing professional.
At The Russell Agency, LLC, we hope these tips help you recognize when your home is in danger of flooding due to melting snow. The last thing you want to happen is to be caught off guard by a sudden flood with damages as a result. If you feel you need extra protection, you can add a flood insurance policy to your current home insurance plan. This coverage is comprehensive and affordable. Our agents are experts and can assess your risk and insurance needs.
The Russell Agency is a full service independent insurance agency serving Southport, Fairfield, Westport and surrounding towns in Fairfield County and New Haven County, and all of Connecticut.