Skip to content Accessibility info

The Russell Agency, LLC Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

What is the Most Common Natural Disaster in the U.S.?

The answer is flooding.

If your home sustained damage due to a flood, would you have coverage? You might be thinking—of course I would have coverage. I have a homeowners policy. You aren’t alone in thinking that, but you would be wrong. A common misconception is that a standard homeowners policy will cover damage caused by a flood.

Generally, a homeowners policy will provide coverage only for water damage that is sudden, like when a pipe bursts. Usually, there is coverage for water damage from wind-driven rain (e.g., if strong winds cause damage to your roof and allow water to seep in).

What a homeowners policy will not cover is water damage caused by water that originates outside, nor will it cover damage caused by water or water-borne material that backs up through sewers or drains, or that overflows or is discharged from a sump pump or related equipment. Damage from water or water-borne material below the surface of the ground is excluded, including water that seeps or leaks through a building or foundation.

If you don’t have coverage under a homeowners policy, you can find coverage under a flood insurance policy.

A flood insurance policy specifically provides coverage for the peril of flood. It will provide coverage for coastal flooding, river flooding, flash flooding or groundwater flooding. Additionally, damage caused by a sewer back-up or seepage will be covered by a flood insurance policy, as long as the back-up or seepage is directly related to a flood.

Don’t mistake your homeowners policy for coverage from flooding. Contact our office today to learn more about the difference between homeowners and flood insurance.